Well, it seems to be about time for another sweet treat. I don’t even really know where I got the idea for this one. Probably just trying to clean out my pantry. I always seem to have half a box of rice krispies hanging around from other recipes and no one in the family actually eats it for breakfast. And I also happened to have some Oreos kicking around. While I love Oreos crushed up and mixed into other treats (umm….Ice Cream!) I actually don’t really like them on their own.
Hence this creation – Cookies and Creme Rice Krispie Squares. Who here doesn’t know and love Rice Krispie squares? That’s right, we all do! I like them plain, I like my roasted marshmallow version, and now, I like them with crushed up Oreos. I’m not sure which is my favorite.
Of course, these are just as easy as your traditional Rice Krispie squares, only with the added step of crushing up some Oreos. You’re not going for crumbs here, so don’t use a food processor. You want bigger chunks. I put mine into a Ziploc bag and crushed them up with a rolling pin. Worked like a charm.
This recipe is perfect for the summer, because you don’t even have to think about turning the oven on. The only “cooking” required is melting the butter and marshmallows and that can be done in the microwave in two minutes or less. You will have to wait for them to set though. That’ll take about an hour.
- One 450g package Oreo cookies
- ¼ cup (4 Tbsp) butter or margarine
- One 16oz bag mini marshmallows
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 4 cups rice krispies
- Grease a 9x13" baking pan. Set aside.
- Place cookies in a large freezer bag. Break cookies into chunks using a rolling pin or small pan. Set aside.
- Place butter into a large, microwave safe bowl. Heat on high until melted, about 30 seconds. Add marshmallows to bowl and toss to coat with butter. Microwave on high at 30 second intervals until melted, stirring every 30 seconds. Stir in vanilla. Add crushed cookies and rice krispies and stir until combined.
- Transfer mixture to prepared baking pan and let sit at room temperature until set, about 1 hour.