These fudgy black bean brownies are made with canned black beans instead of flour. They are gluten free and have less fat than regular brownies.
Over the years, I have tried a lot of different ingredients in my brownies to try and make them healthier. Some have been successful, others not so much (Hi baby food prunes). But the healthier brownie recipe I keep coming back to is these Flourless Black Bean Brownies.
I first posted this recipe way back in the early days of my blog. I remember it being the first post that anyone aside from my immediate family actually read, primarily because it featured the first photo I ever had accepted by Foodgawker.
I figured the post could use a little refresh after so many years, and since I was making these as a Quarantine treat, I figured I'd re-shoot the photos and share it again.
These fudgy brownies are a great pantry baking project! All the ingredients in them are ingredients that you can bet are easily found in almost everyone's pantries and fridges.
Plus, they're great to serve your friends with dietary restrictions. They're naturally gluten free because they use black beans instead of flour.
How do you make black bean brownies?
Making these black bean brownies is a little different than making traditional flour based brownies because you will need a food processor to process the beans and mix the batter. Don't worry if you don't have one - you can always use a blender or immersion blender instead.
Flourless Black Bean Brownie Ingredients:
- 14 ounce can of black beans
- Large eggs
- Cocoa powder
- Granulated sugar
- Canola oil
- Plain or vanilla Greek yogurt (use your favorite Dairy Free yogurt alternative to make these brownies Dairy Free)
- Vanilla extract
- Instant coffee powder
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
- Chocolate chips
Want more Flourless Dessert Recipes?
Flourless Black Bean Brownies Nutrition Notes:
These brownies have less fat than regular brownies, and particularly less saturated fat since the fat they do have in them is oil which is low in saturated fat. They also have more fiber, thanks to the black beans as well as the cocoa powder.
These brownies are naturally gluten free and can easily be made dairy free by swapping out the yogurt for non-dairy yogurt.
Flourless Black Bean Brownies
- 14 ounce can of black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 2 Tablespoons canola oil
- 2 Tablespoons plain or vanilla Greek yogurt (use your favorite Dairy Free yogurt alternative to make these brownies Dairy Free)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon instant coffee
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Prepare a 9x9" baking pan by lining with foil and greasing lightly. Set aside.
- Add black beans, eggs, cocoa, sugar, oil, yogurt, vanilla, instant coffee, salt, baking powder, and baking soda to a food processor. Pulse until completely smooth. Stir in half of the chocolate chips.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Sprinkle the remaining chocolate chips on top of the batter. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the brownies comes out clean. Place on a wire rack and cool completely, at least 30 minutes. Remove foil sling and peel foil from brownies. Cut and serve. Store leftovers in an airtight container.
Nutrition Disclaimer: I try my best to make sure the nutrition information I provide is accurate to provide you with the best information possible. However, due to ingredient discrepancies and other factors, the above nutrition information should be considered an estimation only.