Brazilian Cheese Bread (Pão de Queijo) is a tasty, cheesy snack. These gluten free puffs are chewy and totally addictive! Use your favorite cheese to make!
Do you like chewy, sticky foods? I'm talking about things like mochi, tapioca, and sticky rice. There seems to be two groups of people when it comes to foods like this. You either love them, or hate them.
If you fall into the "love them" category, then this Brazilian Cheese Bread (Pão de Queijo) will be perfect for you! If not, well, you might want to find a more traditional cheese bread to try.
Brazilian Cheese Bread Ingredients
- Tapioca flour (AKA Tapioca starch): This is what gives these chewy, cheesy little morsels their chewiness (you'll understand why if you've ever had the large tapioca balls in bubble tea). Tapioca flour is gluten free. You can find it in the natural foods aisle or gluten free section of your grocery store.
- Cheese: You can really use any kind you like, but stronger cheeses will give these more flavor.
- Milk: I use 1%, but you could use any type of dairy or non-dairy milk.
- Oil: A lightly flavored oil like canola works well.
Making Brazilian Cheese Bread
These could not be simpler to make! You don't even have to dirty any bowls, just your blender. You simply add everything to your blender (add the flour last to avoid it clumping together at the bottom of the blender), and blend until smooth.
Baking them in a mini muffin tin works very well, but a regular sized muffin tin will work too if you fill the cups only halfway.
These are best eaten right away while still warm, but you can also store any leftovers in an airtight container or zipper bag in the fridge and warm them in the microwave. Enjoy!
Brazilian Cheese Bread Nutrition Notes
The nutrition information in the recipe is for each bun, assuming you make 18 of them in a mini muffin pan. If you use a regular muffin pan, each bun may be bigger, and the nutrition information would need to be adjusted accordingly.
The nutrition information was calculated using cheddar cheese and 1% dairy milk.
Want more Gluten Free baking recipes?
Brazilian Cheese Bread (Pão de Queijo)
- 1 large egg
- ⅓ cup canola oil, or other neutral flavored oil
- ⅔ cup milk
- ½ cup packed shredded or crumbled cheese (any type of cheese will work, stronger cheeses will be more flavorful)
- 1 ½ cups tapioca flour (note that it may also be called tapioca starch)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Heat oven to 400°F. Prepare a mini muffin tin (see note) by greasing all of the muffin cups. Set aside.
- Add all of the ingredients to a blender, adding the liquid ingredients first for easier mixing. Blend on high speed until you have a smooth batter, scraping down the sides as needed. Pour batter in to the prepared muffin tin, filling mini muffin cups almost all the way (leave about ¼" to ⅛" of space at the top). Bake for 15-20 minutes or until just beginning to brown on the top. Serve warm, or store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.