These chewy chocolate peanut butter brownies are topped with marshmallows, creamy peanut butter and chocolate mixed with crisp rice cereal.
Pandemic or no pandemic - I won't be putting a stop to my Christmas baking this year.
We just moved to a different country. We're barely unpacked in our new house. We were just put on lockdown and won't be able to see the extended family that we specifically moved closer to.
Despite all that, I'm still baking. Or maybe because of all that, I'm baking even more.
Christmas baking for me brings a little bit of normalcy to the holidays. It's something I do every year, and typically I make the same things every year - all of my family's favorites.
This year I added these Chewy Chocolate Peanut Butter Brownies to the mix.
These brownies are not new to me, I just haven't had them for several years. They are something my Grandma used to make at Christmastime when I was a child. I loved them back then, but haven't made them myself for many years.
Perhaps it was nostalgia, or thinking of simpler times this year that got me thinking about them.
As soon as I thought of them, I knew that my brownie and marshmallow-loving daughter would adore them.
They were the first Christmas treat I made this year, and I think they're already almost gone! It turns out they're great straight out of the freezer, so there is absolutely no barrier to eating them, even when they're stashed away.
How to Make Chewy Chocolate Peanut Butter Brownies:
These mouthwatering brownies are composed of 3 layers:
- The brownie. This is an easy-to-make brownie batter with basic ingredients.
- The marshmallow. You simply spread a layer of mini marshmallows over the cooked brownie layer and pop it back into the oven until melted.
- The chocolate peanut butter layer. This is a mixture of chocolate chips and peanut butter melted together, with a couple of cups of crisp rice cereal stirred in for some crunch.
Once you have all the layers assembled, stick them in the fridge to chill, then cut them up into small pieces to serve.
They hold the best in the fridge or freezer, as the top chocolate peanut butter layer can get a little melty at room temperature.
Chewy Chocolate Peanut Butter Brownies Ingredients:
- All-purpose flour
- Cocoa powder: in this case it doesn't matter whether it's Dutch-processed or natural cocoa powder
- kosher salt
- Unsalted butter, softened
- Granulated sugar
- Large eggs
- Vanilla extract
- Mini marshmallows
- Chocolate chips
- Peanut butter
- Crisp rice cereal - eg. Rice Krispies
Want more chocolate dessert recipes?
Chewy Chocolate Peanut Butter Brownies Nutrition Notes:
Like many chocolate-based desserts, these are high in calories (410kcal), total fat (22g), saturated fat (11g), and sugar (49g). Enjoy in moderation.
Chewy Chocolate Peanut Butter Brownies
- Heat oven to 350°F. Pepare a 9x13" baking pan by lining it with aluminum foil and lightly greasing the foil.
- Whisk together 1 cup all purpose flour, ⅓ cup cocoa powder, and 1 teaspoon kosher salt in a medium bowl. Set aside. Add 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter and 2 cups granulated sugar to the bowl of a stand mixer (or use a large bowl and hand mixer). Beat on medium-high speed until fluffy and well-mixed.
- Add 4 large eggs, one at a time, and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract. Continue beating at medium-high speed until light and fluffy. Add the flour mixture and mix at low speed until combined.
- Using a spatula, spread the batter into the prepared pan. Bake for about 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out with only a few crumbs clinging on. Spread 200 g (7oz) mini marshmallows over the top (you want an even single layer of marshmallows - you may have some left over) and put back into the oven until the marshmallows are puffy and melted, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add a small amount of water (1-2 inches) to a small to medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Fit a glass or stainless steel bowl into the pot so that it rests on top, not touching the water inside, making a double boiler (see note). Reduce the heat to medium low so that the water is just simmering. Add 2 cups chocolate chips and 1 cup peanut butter to the bowl, and stir until completely melted. Remove from heat and stir in 2 cups crisp rice cereal.
- Very carefully spread the chocolate mixture over the marshmallows (you want to avoid mixing the two layers or squishing the marshmallows). Refrigerate just until set. Cut into small squares (they are easiest to cut at room temperature) and serve, or store in airtight containers or bags until ready to serve.