Creamed Peas is a quick and delicious healthy side dish that will add a touch of comfort to any meal you serve.
Do you keep frozen peas in your freezer? I almost always do. While I personally don't like them myself, my husband and my kids both do. They're great for popping into the microwave for a quick veggie side dish if you're short on time or on fresh veggies. Plus they're great to toss into casseroles.
But eating plain steamed peas can get kind of boring. My husband frequently talked about the Creamed Peas his grandma used to make. Though I'd never had creamed peas myself, I went to the internet to investigate recipes to see if I could make something similar. After a few tries, I had it - a good replica of Mr. Dreamboat's Grandma's Creamed Peas.
How do you make creamed peas?
This is a very easy and forgiving recipe. The ingredient list is short, and you don't need any special equipment.
Creamed Peas ingredients:
- Frozen Peas
- Kosher Salt
- Half and half cream
- Parsley or mint
If you don't have half and half cream, don't worry! I have made this recipe successfully with both evaporated milk, and whatever regular milk I had in the fridge (probably 1%), and it came out just fine both times. You could also use heavy cream or dairy free creamer or milk too.
The recipe simply involves cooking the peas in a little water with some sugar and salt, then adding a flour/cream mixture to create the creamy sauce. The recipe is done in just minutes, which makes it the perfect choice for a busy weeknight meal, or and easy addition to a holiday meal.
Want more vegetable side dish recipes?
Creamed Peas Nutrition Notes:
The nutrition information in the recipe below uses half and half cream. Using evaporated milk or other milk will decrease the fat content of the recipe, while using heavy cream will increase it. This recipe can easily be made vegan, dairy free, and/or gluten free by following the substitutions mentioned in the recipe below.
- 1 Tablespoon butter (substitute Dairy Free butter alternative to make this recipe Dairy Free and Vegan)
- 2 cups frozen peas
- ½ cup water
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ⅓ cup half and half cream (see note)
- 2 Tablespoons all purpose flour (use Gluten Free flour to make this recipe Gluten Free)
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 Tablespoon minced parsley or mint
- Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add peas, water, sugar, and salt and stir to combine. Cover and bring to a boil, about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk together the cream, flour, and pepper together in a measuring cup, ensuring that there are no lumps. When the peas begin to boil, slowly stir in the cream mixture. Continue to cook until the liquid has thickened. Remove from the heat, and add the parsley. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Disclaimer: I try my best to make sure the nutrition information I provide is accurate to provide you with the best information possible. However, due to ingredient discrepancies and other factors, the above nutrition information should be considered an estimation only.
Leave a Reply