This week my family and I are getting ready for a 2 week long road trip. We're flying to Denver, then renting a car and travelling through the Southwest to Las Vegas where my sister will be getting married. I'm super excited, since I've never been to that part of the country before. But anyone who's ever traveled before knows what prep week can be like, food-wise. It's pretty dismal here in my kitchen right now. First of all, I don't want to buy groceries, so I'm forced to use up what's left, which is getting to be not much. Second, since I know we're going to be eating pretty much 3 meals a day in restaurants for 2 weeks, we are really trying to get all our healthy eating in now.
Today when I was trying to figure out what to make, I found a slightly old head of broccoli, and some parsley I bought on the weekend for another dish. I realized I could raid my pantry and make one of my all-time favorite fast and healthy meals, Pan Roasted Broccoli with Chickpeas, Garlic and Anchovies. Score! I actually hadn't made this for a long time, and I'm not really sure why. It's definitely delicious - even my picky toddler gobbled it up (the chickpeas at least - we're still working on the broccoli).
What I love about this meal is that it's super quick and easy to make. No more than 20 minutes from start to finish. Even faster if you buy pre-cut broccoli florets. Because the broccoli is pan-roasted at reasonably high heat without disturbing it in the skillet, you end up with the same nice browned, slightly crunchy bits that you would get if you roasted it in the oven, but in a much quicker time frame.
It's healthy too. One serving (the recipe serves 4) is high in fiber, low in saturated fat and provides protein too - from the chickpeas. It's also gluten free, vegetarian and can be made vegan if you omit the anchovies. All you need to do to make it a complete meal is serve it with a small amount of brown rice or some whole grain bread. Can't get much easier than that!
Pan Roasted Broccoli with Chickpeas, Garlic and Anchovies
- 1 bunch broccoli (about 1.5lbs)
- 4 teaspoon olive oil, divided
- 3 Tablespoon water
- 1 14 ounce can chickpeas rinsed
- 3 medium cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- 2 anchovy fillets, minced (or 1 teaspoon anchovy paste)
- ⅛ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 3 Tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- salt and pepper
- Cut broccoli florets into bite sized pieces. Peel thick skin off of the stems, and cut ½" thick. Keep the florets and stems separate.
- Heat 2 teaspoon of the olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat, until just smoking. Add broccoli stems and cook without stirring until browned on bottom, about 2 minutes. Stir and add florets. Stir until florets are beginning to brown, 2 more minutes.
- Add water and cover. Cook for 2 minutes until broccoli turns bright green but is still crisp.
- Remove lid and stir in chickpeas, garlic, anchovies and red pepper flakes. Cook until broccoli is just tender and chickpeas are heated through, 2 more minutes.
- Remove skillet from heat. Stir in remaining olive oil, parsley and lemon juice and season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Disclaimer: I try my best to make sure the nutrition information I provide is accurate to provide you with the best information possible. However, due to ingredient discrepancies and other factors, the above nutrition information should be considered an estimation only.