At only 4 ingredients and only 15 minutes to make, Pasta with Mizithra Cheese and Browned Butter is the deliciously simple meal that will become your family's next staple.
When I was growing up, the Old Spaghetti Factory was a fairly regular destination for my family. When I was younger, and lived in Kamloops BC, we only got to go there on the rare occasion that we made a trip to Vancouver.
Then, when I got older and moved to Calgary, it became a bit more of a regular occurrence, since there was actually a location in our new home city. Still, it was "all the way" downtown, and it could get quite busy, so we usually only went for special occasions.
However, everyone enjoyed it. Their meals were a good deal, as they came with a drink, fresh bread, salad and ice cream for dessert. An even better deal if they let you get the kids sized portion, which was still a pretty good sized portion.
What is Mizithra Cheese?
My favorite dish, one that I ordered almost every time I went, was the Spaghetti with Browned Butter and Mizithra cheese. I had never heard of Mizithra cheese before, and I loved it.
Mizithra is a Greek cheese made from sheeps milk. It's quite hard, and very salty, which makes it perfect for topping pasta, but not so good for eating.
Once I realized that I could find Mizithra at a well stocked grocery store or deli, I started making this magical dish for myself on a regular basis. After all, you can't make a meal more quickly, or with a shorter ingredient list than this, and my entire family loves it.
Do yourself a favor, and figure out where you can find Mizithra locally. Once you find it, it lasts in your fridge for a month or more, or you can freeze it for extended storage.
Pasta with Mizithra Cheese and Browned Butter Nutrition Notes:
Serve this pasta dish with a leafy green salad to make a complete meal.
Pasta with Mizithra Cheese and Browned Butter
- 4 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- salt (for pasta water)
- 1 pound dry pasta (use gluten free pasta to make this recipe gluten free)
- 2 ounces Mizithra cheese, shredded fine (about 1 cup)
- 2 Tablespoons minced parsley
- Cook butter in a small skillet over medium heat, stirring often, until golden brown. Remove from heat to prevent burning.
- Cook pasta according to the directions on package in salted water. Drain.
- Divide pasta among 4 bowls. Top each with an equal portion of shredded Mizithra cheese (about ¼ cup on each serving). Drizzle each with browned butter. Sprinkle minced parsley over the top of each dish.
Nutrition Disclaimer: I try my best to make sure the nutrition information I provide is accurate to provide you with the best information possible. However, due to ingredient discrepancies and other factors, the above nutrition information should be considered an estimation only.