A Peppermint Mocha Latte is the perfect hot drink for the holidays. This one is naturally flavored with homemade mint simple syrup.
Here's something you probably didn't know about me: I am very particular about my coffee (some people might call me extremely picky). I like my coffee a certain way, to the point that I almost never get coffee from anywhere but my own kitchen.
I usually roast my own beans (except in the winter when it's too cold to do it outside), and I always us my Aeropress to brew my double shot of espresso.
Then I turn the espresso into an unsweetened latte with 1% milk, using my immersion blender to froth the milk.
I've been making my coffee exactly this way every morning for 3 years. But every once in a while, especially in the winter, I'll make myself a second, extra special latte in the afternoon as a little treat.
It was on one of these afternoons that I developed the recipe for my Peppermint Mocha Latte.
Every fall, just before my mint freezes, I harvest a whole bunch of it and make a big batch of mint simple syrup to use in cocktails and other drinks.
The syrup usually lasts me through early winter, and one day I thought it might be a good way to sweeten up a latte.
Peppermint Mocha Latte Ingredients
Aside from the mint simple syrup, you only need a few common ingredients to make your peppermint mocha latte:
- milk (or your favorite dairy free milk)
- mint simple syrup (you need sugar, fresh mint, and water to make this)
- cocoa powder
- espresso or strong coffee
I wasn't sure exactly how pronounced the mint flavor would be once mixed with coffee and chocolate, but it is definitely noticeable.
I'm not one for heavily sweetened drinks, so I only used 1 Tablespoon of the syrup. I used 1 teaspoon of unsweetened cocoa powder, which gives it a rich chocolate flavor.
I can never resist a hot drink in the winter. What's your favorite hot drink?
Peppermint Mocha Latte Nutrition Notes:
The nutrition information in the recipe below uses 1% milk, which is what I usually use at home.
If you're looking to cut back on calories, you could use skim milk, or unsweetened non-dairy milk like almond milk.
Want more Holiday inspired drinks?
Peppermint Mocha Latte
- ½ cup milk (use your favorite dairy free milk to make this recipe Dairy Free and Vegan)
- 1 Tablespoon mint simple syrup (see notes)
- 1 teaspoon cocoa powder
- 1-2 shots espresso or ½ cup strong hot brewed coffee
- Froth milk in a heatproof glass measuring cup (at least 2 cup size) or bowl until foamy using an electric immersion blender, battery powered milk frother or milk steamer. If you don't have any of those, whisk vigorously until foamy. Add cocoa powder and simple syrup, and blend/froth again until well mixed.
- Microwave milk mixture for 50 seconds to 1 minute on high power, watching so that it doesn't foam over the top. Stir, and microwave again for 20-30 seconds until hot.
- Pour espresso or coffee into a mug. Top with milk mixture. Garnish with a candy cane if desired.
Nutrition Disclaimer: I try my best to make sure the nutrition information I provide is accurate to provide you with the best information possible. However, due to ingredient discrepancies and other factors, the above nutrition information should be considered an estimation only.