These sweet potato drop biscuits are a beautiful orange color and have a warm, slightly spicy flavor. The work wonderfully as a side dish or snack.
These Sweet Potato Drop Biscuits have quickly become a staple in my household.
I first tried them when I had some extra sweet potatoes kicking around that I needed to use up. They were an immediate hit. They have just a little extra something special compared to plain biscuits. Their color is a warm orange, and the cinnamon and nutmeg in them makes them taste like fall, in a biscuit. Plus, I always love hiding a little extra veggies in any recipe I make!
Plus, these as extremely easy to whip up as a quick side dish, especially if you have leftover cooked sweet potato in the fridge (Like if you’re making Chipotle Black Bean Sweet Potato Skins).
The fat in them comes only from cream, so you don’t have to worry about cutting in butter or any other fussy steps that you have to do in other biscuits. The other ingredients are pretty much what you’d expect: a mix of whole wheat and all purpose flour, baking soda and baking powder, salt, a little sugar, nutmeg, cinnamon and a splash of vanilla.
The first step to making these biscuits is to puree the sweet potato with the cream and vanilla. The dry ingredients are mixed together in a bowl. The sweet potato mixture gets stirred into the flour mixture to form a soft dough.
You’ll want to let them cool for a couple minutes before trying to cut into it, but make sure you eat at least one when it’s still warm. They’re especially delicious with butter. These go great as a side dish to a simple meal of roasted chicken or pork and vegetables, but I’ve also had the leftovers toasted for breakfast. They are truly yummy!
Sweet Potato Drop Biscuits
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 1/2 cups half and half
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- Pinch ground nutmeg
- Adjust oven rack to medium position and heat oven to 450°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Place sweet potato in a large microwave safe measuring cup or bowl. Cover with plastic with vents poked in it and microwave on high for 5-7 minutes. Add the cream and vanilla to the sweet potato and puree using an immersion blender (or regular blender).
- In a large bowl, mix all purpose and whole wheat flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, baking soda, cinnamon and nutmeg together. Stir in sweet potato until combined. Dough will be soft.
- Drop dough into mounds on the baking sheet, spacing them 1 1/2 inches apart.
- Bake until biscuits are lightly browned, 15-17 minutes, rotating pan halfway through baking. Let the biscuits cool for 5 minutes and serve warm.
Sweet Potato Drop Biscuits Nutrition Notes:
Remember to account for the butter you add to your Sweet Potato Drop Biscuits!