Beet Borscht Soup
Beet Borscht is a Ukrainian soup made with beets, vegetables, and dill. It's a healthy soup that's gluten free and can easily be made vegan.
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 4 medium beets, peeled and shredded or diced
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 medium celery stalks, sliced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, stemmed, seeded, and chopped
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste if needed
- ¼ cup ketchup
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 cups chicken, beef, or vegetable broth
- 3 medium yellow fleshed potatoes, peeled and cut into ½ inch pieces
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 Tablespoons minced dill
- 1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- Sour cream, to serve (optional)
Heat olive oil in a stock pot or Dutch oven over medium high heat. Add beets, carrots, celery, bell pepper, onion, and salt and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 6-8 minutes.
Stir in garlic and ketchup and cook until ketchup begins to brown, about 1-2 minutes. Slowly stir in the broth, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the pot. Add the potatoes, bay leaves, and pepper and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low and simmer until potatoes are soft, 15-20 minutes.
Remove from heat and remove bay leaves. Stir in the vinegar and dill. Garnish with additional dill and sour cream if desired. Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge.
Calories: 155kcal | Carbohydrates: 26g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 3g | Sodium: 1090mg | Potassium: 820mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 10g | Vitamin A: 3100IU | Vitamin C: 51mg | Calcium: 46mg | Iron: 2mg