A flavorful sauce with tomatoes, olives, capers, anchovies and garlic that's also quick and easy to make.
- 1 pound whole wheat spaghetti (Use Gluten Free spaghetti to make this recipe Gluten Free)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tablespoon water
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 4 teaspoons anchovy paste or 8-10 minced anchovy fillets
- 28 ounce can diced tomatoes, drained with ½ cup juice reserved
- 3 Tablespoons capers
- ½ cup kalamata olives pitted and coarsely chopped
- ¼ cup minced fresh parsley leaves
Cook pasta to al dente according to directions on the package.
While pasta is cooking, mix garlic and water together in a small bowl. Heat the oil, garlic water mixture, pepper flakes and anchovies over medium heat in a large skillet. Stir frequently and cook until garlic is fragrant but not browned, about 2-3 minutes. Stir in tomatoes and simmer until slightly thickened, about 8 minutes.
Drain spaghetti and toss it with ¼ cup of the reserved tomato juice.
Stir olives, capers and parsley into the sauce. Pour sauce over pasta and toss to combine. Add the remaining tomato juice if necessary to thin the sauce.