New and Improved Polish Hunter's Stew (Bigos)
Polish Hunter's Stew (Bigos) is a hearty, smoky stew filled with chicken, sausage, bacon and loads of vegetables. Makes a large batch and is great reheated.
- 4 slices turkey bacon
- 1 ring chicken or turkey kielbasa sausage, cut in half and sliced into ½ inch half moons
- 1 pound chicken thighs, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 8 ounces white mushrooms, wiped clean and sliced
- 4 medium carrots, peeled and cut into ½ inch pieces
- ½ medium green cabbage, shredded
- 16 ounces sauerkraut, drained
- 2 tablespoons canned tomato paste
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon caraway seed
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- ¼ cup dry red wine (or 2 Tablespoons red wine vinegar)
- 5 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 14 oz can diced tomatoes
Heat oven to 350°F. Cook bacon and sausage in an oven safe dutch oven over medium high heat until browned. Transfer with a slotted spoon to a bowl and set aside.
Add chicken thighs to dutch oven and cook until browned on all sides. Transfer to the bowl with the bacon and sausage.
Add garlic, onion, mushrooms, carrots, cabbage and sauerkraut to the dutch oven and cook until softened, about 10 minutes.
Add the tomato paste, bay leaves, smoked paprika, paprika, basil, marjoram, salt, pepper, caraway, and cayenne. Stir and cook for 30 seconds, until fragrant. Slowly pour in red wine, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the dutch oven.
Stir in the chicken broth and diced tomatoes, then add back the bacon, sausage and pork. Bring to a boil, then cover and transfer to the oven. Cook for 2.5-3 hours.
Calories: 193kcal | Carbohydrates: 17g | Protein: 19g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 2g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 61mg | Sodium: 840mg | Potassium: 864mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 5673IU | Vitamin C: 39mg | Calcium: 92mg | Iron: 3mg