Spaghetti with Red Cabbage and Feta is a simple, yet satifsying and delicious meal. Great as a side, or perfect as a vegetarian entree.
Red cabbage is one of those vegetables that I’m just kinda “meh” about. I sometimes buy one to add a little color to my coleslaw, but other than that, I don’t really have much love for it. So when I found myself with an abundance of red cabbage a few weeks ago, I decided to figure out what I could make.
The internet gave me TONS of recipes for German sweet braised red cabbage, with or without apples, but I’ve never been a big fan of that dish. Pass. But that did remind me that I usually braise my green cabbage (note to self: post that recipe someday), so I figured I could do something similar with red too. Without apples. I put it on spaghetti (because everything is better with pasta) and added cheese (because Wisconsin), and I got Spaghetti with Red Cabbage and Feta Cheese.
Now I can tell what you’re probably thinking. Trust me, this is one of those recipes that tastes better than it sounds. I mean, I think the pictures look pretty yummy (if I do say so myself), but cabbage, on spaghetti?? It really is good. So much so that I made it several times over the course of a couple of weeks (to use up all that red cabbage of course). How something so simple as onion, garlic, cabbage, salt, pepper, and a little cheese can taste so good when you mix them all together will never fail to amaze me. And the fact that this dish is so simple, and requires only a short time to cook, makes it the perfect meal to whip up on a busy weeknight. Well, now I know what I’m going to do anytime I have leftover red cabbage.
Spaghetti with Red Cabbage and Feta Cheese
- 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon red chile flakes
- 1 pound shredded red cabbage (about 4 cups – see note)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 pound spaghetti, cooked according to directions (use Gluten Free spaghetti if you need to make this recipe Gluten Free)
- 1/4 cup crumbled Feta cheese
- Heat olive oil in a large saute pan over medium heat. Cook onion until soft, about 3-5 minutes, reducing heat to medium-low if onions begin to brown. Add the garlic and chile flakes and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in the cabbage, salt and pepper. Cover and cook until cabbage is softened, about 15-20 minutes.
- Portion the spaghetti onto 4 bowls or plates. Distribute the cabbage mixture over the pasta, and top each with 1 Tablespoon of crumbled Feta. Serve immediately.
Spaghetti with Red Cabbage and Feta Nutrition Notes:
The above nutrition info is calculated using regular spaghetti. To increase fiber content, use whole wheat. Serve this as a vegetarian entree with a salad, or you can serve it as a side (maybe in a slightly smaller portion) with your favorite meat entree.