Hi! I’m Carissa!
I’m a stay-at-home Canadian mom of a young daughter and son. Right now, I’m living the suburban life just outside of Madison, Wisconsin. My family moved here from Edmonton, Canada in 2013 after my husband landed his dream job.
Shortly after the move, I found that I was a stay-at-home mom that no longer had an outlet to share my passion for food. So I decided to start this blog. I went in with absolutely zero knowledge of websites. My husband helped me get started – registering my domain name, getting me set up with a host, and downloading WordPress. After that, I was on my own, learning everything from online tutorials and videos. I’m quite proud of how far I’ve come.
I also knew almost nothing about photography when I started. I actually thought having great photos wasn’t important as long as I posted great recipes. I very quickly learned that I was very, very wrong and began honing my photography skills.
When I’m not in the kitchen, I love to read, sing and work in my yard/garden. I love camping and hiking, and miss the mountains almost as much as I miss my family back in Canada.
Want to know more? Random facts about me!
- I attended University of Alberta, majoring in Nutrition. I am a Registered Dietitian, but I haven’t practiced in a traditional setting since my daughter was born in 2012.
- Learning about food photography for the blog got my into other types of photography. I gravitate to macro (closeup) photography of plants and insects, but I also love landscape and nature photography when I get the opportunity.
- I love to travel! We have driven to both the East Coast of Canada and Alberta with the kids on more than one occasion. We also love to travel internationally and hope to do it more often as the kids get older.
- I love coffee and can’t go a day without it. Seriously – If I try I will get a massive headache that is only cured by drinking coffee. I even roast my own beans with a modified air popper!
- I was diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis in 2011, the day after I found out I was pregnant with my daughter. I feel grateful that my condition has been mostly well managed.
- I love nature and being outdoors. We love to hike and picnic and see all that our landscape has to offer.
- I’m active on a number of different social media platforms (find links at the bottom of the page), but my favorite is Instagram. Here you can see not only my food/blog pictures, but some of my nature photos too, and maybe even the occasional family photo.
Thanks for reading, and I’d love to hear from you sometime!