A spicy take on the classic margarita, this Watermelon Jalapeno Margarita is made with fresh watermelon juice, lime juice, jalapeno, and tequila.
I'm not usually much of a cocktail girl. More often than not, if I'm going to have a drink, it'll usually be beer. But this summer, I've been really enjoying cocktails.
I think I used to steer clear because of past experiences with bad bars making sub-par cocktails with gross syrupy mixes. But, if they're made right, cocktails are delicious and refreshing!
And when I say made right, I mean with good quality, fresh ingredients - like this Spicy Watermelon Jalapeno Margarita.
This is not the first time I have made my margarita on the spicy side - I do it with my lime margaritas sometimes too. I love how the fiery jalapeno compliments the smoky tequila.
Just be careful you don't go overboard and use too much jalapeno, or muddle it too aggressively, or let it soak for too long.
Otherwise, you'll end up with a burning hot margarita that will be unpleasant to say the least.
This drink is ideal to make when you have leftover watermelon that is unlikely to get eaten before it goes bad. Not going to happen - ever?
That's okay because it also works when you get a non-so-great watermelon. You know the ones - maybe they taste okay, but they have a mealy or kind of rubbery texture.
They will blend up into juice super fast, and that gross texture will no longer be an issue.
Just strain the solids out, and you've got a great, nutritious and hydrating, no-sugar-added juice that you and your family can drink - or make cocktails - to your heart's desire.
How to make a Watermelon Jalapeno Margarita:
The first thing to note when you're making this recipe is that the recipe below is only for one drink. If you're making it for a group, make sure to do some math to increase the recipe.
Want more margarita recipes?
Watermelon Jalapeno Margarita Nutrition Notes:
Like most cocktails, the watermelon jalapeno margarita contains added sugar. If you need to cut down or avoid added sugars, use a safe low calorie sweetener like stevia instead.
If you don't already have watermelon juice ready to go, you will also need a blender and a strainer. Simply add watermelon chunks to your blender, and blend until smooth. Pour it through a strainer to remove any solids.
Cut a few slices from a fresh jalapeno, and lightly muddle it with the tequila (be careful not to be too aggressive here, or your drink may end up overly spicy).
Now simply shake together the watermelon juice, jalapeno-infused tequila, lime juice, and sugar (use superfine sugar for the fastest dissolving). Pour into a salt-rimmed glass (or add a pinch of salt to your margarita), and sip slowly, preferably while relaxing outside.
Watermelon and Jalapeno Margarita Ingredients:
- Jalapeno: for one drink you will only need a few slices, depending on how spicy it is
- Tequila: any kind will work
- Superfine sugar: simply blend granulated sugar in a blender or food processor to make superfine sugar. If you make a lot of cocktails, make a large batch and keep it in an airtight container.
- Watermelon juice: Blend and strain fresh watermelon to make juice
- Lime juice: either from one fresh lime, or bottled.
- Ice: use crushed or cubed depending on your preferences.
- Kosher salt for rimming the glass, or simply add a pinch to your margarita.
Spicy Watermelon and Jalapeno Margarita
- ¼ jalapeno (3-5 slices, depending on your taste and how hot the pepper is)
- 1.5 ounces tequila
- 1 Tablespoon superfine sugar (see note)
- ½ cup watermelon juice (see note)
- 2 Tablespoon lime juice (from 1 lime)
- ice (crushed or cubes)
- salt, for rimming the glass
- 1 Blender
- Lightly muddle the jalapeno slices with the tequila in a sturdy glass or measuring cup. Note that the longer/more firmly you muddle it, and the longer you let the jalapeno sit in the tequila, the more spicy your drink will be. Stir in the superfine sugar until dissolved.
- Lightly wet the rim of a short glass with lime juice. Dip the wet rim into a layer of kosher salt on a plate (Optional - If you decide not to rim your glass with salt, add a pinch of salt to the tequila mixture). Fill the glass halfway with crushed or cubed ice.
- Pour the tequila mixture, triple sec, watermelon juice and lime juice into a cocktail shaker filled with ice. Shake vigorously. Strain into your prepared glass. Garnish with a slice of jalapeno, lime or small wedge of watermelon.
Nutrition Disclaimer: I try my best to make sure the nutrition information I provide is accurate to provide you with the best information possible. However, due to ingredient discrepancies and other factors, the above nutrition information should be considered an estimation only.