Coconut Lime Zucchini Bread is a tropical twist on traditional zucchini bread – it’s a great way to use up extra zucchinis in the summer!
I have been baking like crazy lately. I know, the cliche is no baking in the summer because it’s too hot to turn on the oven. But do modern ovens really heat up the house that much? I don’t really find that mine does – or perhaps my AC goes into overdrive and I just don’t notice.
In any case, I need to turn on the oven in order to make all the baked goods to use up all the zucchini I get from my CSA. Sure I could make savory foods, like my beloved zucchini tacos (trust me, I do make those too), but I really like healthy-ish baked goods for breakfast, and I like to fill my freezer with them for when zucchini is not plentiful. So I bake.
This week’s sweet treat is inspired by a tropical smelling coconut lime body lotion that I used to adore circa 2008. I don’t use scented body products anymore, but I still remember how much I loved that coconut lime combo, and I wanted to recreate it in baked good version. Luckily for my tropical loving taste buds, it worked out well, and I can enjoy this delicious loaf from my freezer over the upcoming weeks. And guess what. I picked up my CSA today, and there are 4 more zucchinis in there!
Coconut Lime Zucchini Bread Nutrition Notes
The extra fat and saturated fat in this version of zucchini bread (compared to say, lemon zucchini loaf cake) is from the coconut that is added to it. Unfortunately, the coconut in this recipe is what gives it it’s distinct flavor and texture and cannot be replaced. If you’re looking for a lower fat version of zucchini loaf, make the lemon zucchini loaf and skip the glaze.
Coconut Lime Zucchini Bread
- 2 cups grated zucchini, from 1 medium zucchini
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons lime zest (from 2 limes)
- 2 Tablespoons lime juice (from 2 limes)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Heat oven to 350°F and lightly grease an 8×5″ loaf pan.
- Place grated zucchini in a colander and sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon of the salt. Toss gently and place the colander in the sink to drain. Let sit for 5-10 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the all purpose flour, whole wheat flour, coconut, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, baking soda and baking powder. Set aside.
- Whisk together the sugar, oil, yogurt, egg, lime zest, lime juice and vanilla extract into a large bowl. When the zucchini is done draining, squeeze any extra water out with your hands. Stir it into this mixture.
- Gently fold the flour mixture into the zucchini mixture, and stir until flour is just incorporated. Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan, and gently smooth the top with a spatula. Bake for 45-50 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes in the pan, then remove from pan and cool completely on a wire rack.