This ice cream sandwich cake is about the easiest summer dessert ever. All it takes is as little as two ingredients, and a few minutes to put it together!
I almost didn’t post this recipe. I figured that because it uses only processed ingredients, it wasn’t “on brand”. But then I said “Who cares! My family loves this recipe, and I’m gonna share it no matter what some people my think!”
Truthfully, this recipe is a little different than most of the recipes I share. Namely that it’s not made from real ingredients – not made from scratch. But in this case, it means that this recipe is super quick and easy to whip up, and it feeds a crowd. And who cares if it’s not exactly health food – who doesn’t love ice cream sandwiches??
This cake will easily be one of the easiest things you ever make – all you need to do is place the ice cream sandwiches in a baking dish, layer with whipped topping, and repeat. And one of the best things about this is that it’s customizable.
I almost always add sprinkles, but this time I also threw in a few coarsely chopped maraschino cherries and some chocolate shell topping. I’ve also done it with hot fudge and caramel sauce, which was also a big success. I think nuts would also be delicious, but my kids vetoed that idea. And don’t forget that you can get different flavors of ice cream sandwiches – this time we did one box of plain, and one box of Neapolitan.
I highly recommend making this super easy cake for your next summer get together, as it feeds a crowd and everyone will love it. However, if you want to make a smaller one just for your family, you can easily make a half recipe with just one box (12) ice cream sandwiches, and one small container (8 ounces) of whipped topping. Just assemble it in a smaller (9×9″) baking dish and you’re good to go!
Easiest Ever Ice Cream Sandwich Cake
- 24 ice cream sandwiches
- 16 ounces frozen whipped topping (eg. Cool Whip), thawed (see note)
- sprinkles, hot fudge, chocolate shell, caramel or chocolate sauce, chopped nuts, candy, etc. optional add ins
- Lay ice cream sandwiches in a single layer in a 9×13" baking dish or similar sized casserole dish, cutting sandwiches as needed to make them fit. Spread half of the whipped topping an any optional add-ins you may want to use on top.
- Add another single layer of ice cream sandwiches (depending on the size/shape of your dish, you may not use up all of the ice cream sandwiches). Repeat with another layer of whipped topping and add-ins, noting that this will be the top and you can decorate it as desired.
- Place in the freezer, and freeze until the whipped topping has the consistency of ice cream, at least 2 hours. Cut into pieces and serve frozen.
Ice Cream Sandwich Cake Nutrition Notes:
The above nutrition information does not include any optional add-ins like sprinkles or chocolate sauce. The final nutrition info of your cake will depend on the brand of ice cream sandwiches and whipped topping you use.