This ice cream sandwich cake is about the easiest summer dessert ever. All it takes is as little as two ingredients, and a few minutes to put it together!
I almost didn't post this recipe. I figured that because it uses only processed ingredients, it wasn't "on brand". But then I said "Who cares! My family loves this recipe, and I'm gonna share it no matter what some people my think!"
Truthfully, this recipe is a little different than most of the recipes I share. And since it's basically just putting two store-bought ingredients together, it's almost not a recipe at all.
But in this case, it means that this recipe is super quick and easy to whip up, and it feeds a crowd. And who cares if it's not exactly health food - who doesn't love ice cream sandwiches??
How to make Ice Cream Sandwich Cake
This cake will easily be one of the easiest things you ever make - all you need to do is place the ice cream sandwiches in a baking dish, layer with softened ice cream, and repeat. And one of the best things about this is that it's customizable.
I almost always add sprinkles, but this time I also threw in a few coarsely chopped maraschino cherries and some chocolate shell topping. I've also done it with hot fudge and caramel sauce, which was also a big success. I think nuts would also be delicious, but my kids vetoed that idea.
Of course, you could also use whatever flavor of ice cream you choose. And sometimes you can even find ice cream sandwiches in other flavors. Plain ice cream sandwiches with cookies and cream ice cream?
Yes please! Or mix it up by adding a layer of chocolate and strawberry ice cream to make something like a Neapolitan ice cream cake.
Ice Cream Sandwich Cake Ingredients:
- Ice cream sandwiches
- Softened ice cream (vanilla, or flavor of your choice)
- sprinkles, hot fudge, chocolate shell, caramel or chocolate sauce, chopped nuts, candy, etc.
I highly recommend making this super easy cake for your next summer get-together, as it feeds a crowd and everyone will love it.
However, if you want to make a smaller one just for your family, you can easily make a half recipe with just one box (12) ice cream sandwiches, and half a pint of ice cream. Just assemble it in a smaller (9x9") baking dish and you're good to go!
Want more Frozen Dessert recipes?
Ice Cream Sandwich Cake Nutrition Notes:
The above nutrition information does not include any optional add-ins like sprinkles or chocolate sauce. The final nutrition info of your cake will depend on the brand of ice cream sandwiches and ice cream that you decide to use.
Easiest Ever Ice Cream Sandwich Cake
- 24 ice cream sandwiches
- 1 pint softened ice cream (vanilla, or the flavor of your choosing)
- sprinkles, hot fudge, chocolate shell, caramel or chocolate sauce, chopped nuts, candy, etc. optional add ins
- Lay ice cream sandwiches in a single layer in a 9x13" baking dish or similar sized casserole dish, cutting sandwiches as needed to make them fit. Spread half of the ice cream and any optional add-ins you may want to use on top.
- Add another single layer of ice cream sandwiches (depending on the size/shape of your dish, you may not use up all of the ice cream sandwiches). Repeat with another layer of ice cream and add-ins, noting that this will be the top and you can decorate it as desired.
- Place in the freezer, and freeze until the ice cream has firmed up, at least 2 hours. Cut into pieces and serve frozen.
Nutrition Disclaimer: I try my best to make sure the nutrition information I provide is accurate to provide you with the best information possible. However, due to ingredient discrepancies and other factors, the above nutrition information should be considered an estimation only.