While this Curried Cauliflower Soup with Sweet Potato sounds unusual, the combination of ingredients makes a tasty and healthy vegetarian soup.
Here I am, back in the saddle again after my warm, sunny family vacation.
And it's a snow day. Did you know, that growing up in Canada (Kamloops BC and Calgary), I only ever had one snow day? That's right, in the whole 13 years that I was a student I only ever missed school once due to the weather. Here in Wisconsin, it was s a snow day for the second time this month, and we definitely didn't/don't get any less snow in Canada.
Snow days are the best kind of days for soup. Especially this Curried Cauliflower Soup with Sweet Potato and Swiss Cheese, one of my favorite soups ever. I know, it sounds weird. So weird, that when I first read the recipe for it, I just had to try it.
As the name suggests, it's made with cauliflower, sweet potato, wild rice, a bit of curry powder, and a handful of shredded Swiss cheese. While I thought curry and Swiss cheese was a very unlikely combination, it works.
How to Make Curried Cauliflower Soup with Sweet Potato
The soup gets its creamy texture from the addition of evaporated milk (the stuff you get in a can from the baking aisle). I always use evaporated milk instead of cream in my soups to cut down on fat, while still giving it a creaminess without watering it down like milk would.
I also puree a little bit of the soup to make it just a bit thicker. I use an immersion blender right in the pot, but you can put a little bit of the soup into a blender instead. Or you can skip this step totally - it's up to you.
What you'll get when you make this soup is a soup that's rich in flavor. You get the sweetness of the sweet potatoes, the warm spice of the curry powder, and the creamy tang from the Swiss cheese.
I also love the contrasting textures in this soup - the sweet potatoes and cauliflower melt in your mouth, but you get a little chew from the wild rice. You'll definitely want to make this before the winter is done.
Want more Soup recipes?
Curried Cauliflower Soup Nutrition Notes
To have only a bowl of this soup makes for a very low-calorie meal. To make a complete meal, add a green salad, and/or some fresh bread.
Curried Cauliflower Soup with Sweet Potato
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 2 large leeks (tender white and light green parts only), thinly sliced and washed, about 2 cups)
- 4 medium cloves garlic minced
- 1 ½ teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 4 cups cauliflower florets (1 medium head cauliflower)
- 1 medium sweet potato peeled and cut into ½ inch cubes (about 1 ½ cups)
- ⅓ cup wild rice or wild rice blend
- 5 cups reduced sodium vegetable broth
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup 2% evaporated milk
- ½ cup shredded Swiss cheese
- Heat olive oil in a dutch oven over medium heat. Add leeks and cook until leeks soften, about 3 minutes. Stir in garlic, curry powder and ground cumin and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Stir in cauliflower, sweet potato and wild rice and cook for another minute. Stir in broth, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer until vegetables are soft and wild rice is cooked, about 15 minutes.
- Stir in evaporated milk and Swiss cheese; stir until cheese is melted. If desired, blend partially with an immersion blender.
Nutrition Disclaimer: I try my best to make sure the nutrition information I provide is accurate to provide you with the best information possible. However, due to ingredient discrepancies and other factors, the above nutrition information should be considered an estimation only.