Sometimes, we don’t have time to make complex and time consuming recipes for dinner. In fact, if you have kids, and/or a job, I’d venture to say that your probably don’t have time to make complex and time consuming recipes most of the time.
Which is why I always have a few stand-by recipes that
1. The whole family loves (or at least tolerates)
2. I usually have ingredients on hand for and
3. Are quick and simple to make.
Lately, this recipe for Italian Sausage with Bell Peppers and Onions has been checking off all of those requirements. Hubby enjoys it, and the kids will eat a few bites, as long as I skip the chili flakes and make sure not to use hot Italian sausage.
I almost always have Italian sausage in my freezer, I’m never without onions, and I usually have a couple of bell peppers hanging around in the fridge. The rest is just common dried herbs. And it only takes 20 minutes to cook – less if you cut the sausages in half.
I like to serve this as a sandwich – hot dog style. One sausage on a bun with some peppers and onions. However, you could skip the bun and serve it over top greens, salad style. Or serve with potatoes or your favorite grain. Or wrapped up in a tortilla. Very flexible – use whatever you like and whatever you have.
Between picking the kids up from school, skating lessons, yoga or badminton (that’s what we’ve got going on now) or just relaxing on the couch, you will still have time to make this meal. Make it a double recipe and you’ll even have leftovers for the next day!
Italian Sausage with Bell Peppers and Onions Nutrition Notes:
Nutrition information will vary depending on which brand of Italian sausage you use. The above nutrition info uses turkey Italian sausage. Using pork will likely slightly increase fat, saturated fat and calories. To reduce sodium, use water instead of chicken broth and reduce or omit the amount of salt that is added to the veggies in the recipe.
Italian Sausage with Bell Peppers and Onions
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 5 Italian turkey or pork (4 ounces each) (see note)
- 1 large yellow onion
- 1 medium red bell pepper
- 1 medium yellow or orange bell pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1/4 cup reduced sodium chicken stock or water
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add sausage and brown well on all sides. Remove sausages from skillets and place on a plate.
- Return skillet to medium high heat. Add onions and bell peppers and cook until beginning to soften and brown. Add the dried basil and oregano, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes and stock. Return sausage to skillet, and cover. Cook until sausages are cooked through to 165°F and the stock has reduced, about 5-10 minutes (5 minutes if sausages are cut in half lengthwise). Serve with potatoes, on a roll or with your favorite grain.
Nutrition Disclaimer: I try my best to make sure the nutrition information I provide is accurate to provide you with the best information possible. However, due to ingredient discrepancies and other factors, the above nutrition information should be considered an estimation only.