This simple but delicious Kale and Date Salad features a flavorful shallot vinaigrette, crunchy almonds, sweet dates, and Parmesan cheese.
Did you know Meghan Markle used to have a blog? This was years ago, before she famously married Prince Harry. It's no longer on the internet, but that's where this recipe originated from.
There are still versions of this Kale and Date Salad with Shallot Vinaigrette, floating around, originally from Meghan Markle's old blog, The Tig. I got the idea for this salad from one of them, and modified the proportions of some of the ingredients to meet my family's tastes.
How to make Kale and Date Salad:
This is an incredibly easy salad to make. It's also great for entertaining and meal prep because the salad dressing can be made, and the kale tossed with the dressing ahead of time. Then all you need to do when you're ready to eat is sprinkle the dates, almonds, and Parmesan over the salad and give it a quick mix if you wish, and it's ready to go.
The dressing can be made by hand with a whisk, but it's even quicker and easier to use a blender or immersion blender. This will make it easier to get a perfectly emulsified dressing that will coat the kale without sliding off and pooling at the bottom of the bowl.
Kale and Date Salad Ingredients:
- Lemon juice - fresh is best, but in a pinch feel free to use bottled lemon juice
- Kosher salt
- Red pepper flakes - use more if you want a spicier salad, or omit if you don't want any spiciness to your salad dressing
- Olive oil
- Kale - either regular kale or lacinato kale works fine in this recipe. Buy it fresh by the bunch. I find that the bagged, precut kale often has large pieces of stem that don't work well for salad.
- Sliced almonds - or substitute slivered almonds
- Dates - you want to use the fresh dates that typically come in a plastic box in the produce section of the grocery store. Avoid using the dried dates that you find in the baking aisle.
- Parmesan cheese
Want more delicious Salad recipes?
Kale and Date Salad Nutrition Notes:
The nutrition information in the recipe is for an appetizer or side dish sized portion of the salad (recipe makes 4 portions). If you wish to serve this salad as an entrée, the recipe will serve 2.
Serve this salad with pasta, soup, sandwich, or meat entrée to make a complete meal.
Kale and Date Salad with Shallot Vinaigrette
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 Tablespoon minced shallot
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 bunch kale washed and dried
- 2 Tablespoons sliced almonds
- 5 dates pitted and chopped
- 1 ounce Parmesan cheese shaved with a vegetable peeler
- Remove the stems from the kale and tear or cut into bite sized pieces. Add to a large bowl and pour the dressing over it. Toss well until kale is fully coated. Sprinkle the almonds, dates, and Parmesan over top of the kale. Serve immediately or refrigerate for a couple of hours until ready to serve.
Nutrition Disclaimer: I try my best to make sure the nutrition information I provide is accurate to provide you with the best information possible. However, due to ingredient discrepancies and other factors, the above nutrition information should be considered an estimation only.
Note: Recipe was inspired by Meghan Markle's Kale Salad, as seen on Cooking Light.