A New York Sour is an impressive looking cocktail that is not only delicious, but incredibly easy to make!
Everyone needs that one signature cocktail that they can always whip out at dinner parties and gatherings. It should be quick and easy to make, yet delicious, and beautiful to look at. The New York Sour fits all those criteria, and might just fit the bill to be your next signature cocktail.
How do you make a New York Sour?
A New York Sour is a very easy cocktail to make. It doesn't require any exotic ingredients, special equipment, and you can mix one up in just a couple of minutes.
- Bourbon - any type will do. It doesn't need to be a particularly high end bottle.
- Lemon juice - fresh is best, especially if you want to garnish your fancy cocktail with a lime wedge or twist of zest. But bottled lemon juice will do in a pinch.
- Simple Syrup - simply equal parts sugar and water dissolved together. You can make a bit batch and store in a bottle or jar in your fridge for all your future cocktail making endeavors (lots of cocktail recipes use it, not just this one).
- Fruity Red Wine - something like malbec or syrah. I like to make this recipe when I have just a little bit of wine left in the bottle, but not quite enough to fill a glass.
You will also need lots of ice, and a good cocktail shaker. Simply shake the bourbon, lemon juice, and simple syrup together until it's very cold, then pour it over more ice into into your cocktail glass.
Then comes the trickiest part of making this drink. Get a spoon, and pour the red wine very slowly and gently onto the top of the cocktail. It should simply float there creating a striking color separation. Garnish with lemon zest or a simple thin slice of lemon, and serve/
Want more sour cocktail recipes?
New York Sour Nutrition Notes:
Like almost all cocktails, the majority of the calories in the New York Sour comes from the alcohol and the sugar in the recipe. If you're looking to reduce sugar intake, you could substitute with a sweetener like stevia. Like any alcoholic beverage, enjoy in moderation.
New York Sour Cocktail
- 2 ounces bourbon
- 1 ounce lemon juice
- ½ ounce simple syrup (see note)
- 1 ounce fruity red wine (eg. malbec or syrah)
- lemon zest (optional)
- Fill an old fashioned or rocks glass with ice. Set aside.
- Fill a cocktail shaker with ice. Pour the bourbon, lemon juice, and simple syrup into the shaker and shake vigorously for 15 seconds.
- Strain the cocktail into the prepared glass. Very slowly and carefully pour the red wine over the back of a spoon onto the top of the cocktail. It should float on top. Garnish with lemon zest if desired.
Nutrition Disclaimer: I try my best to make sure the nutrition information I provide is accurate to provide you with the best information possible. However, due to ingredient discrepancies and other factors, the above nutrition information should be considered an estimation only.
Leave a Reply