Rhubarb compote is a mixture of rhubarb and sugar cooked into a tart, sweet sauce. It can be used as a dessert topping, with yogurt or right from the jar.
I have two rhubarb patches in my yard. I planted both of them myself, as the yard previously did not have any. One is in a very hot and sunny spot, and it has done spectacularly well since I put it there. One has been moved several times, as I can’t seem to find a place for it to thrive. In any case, the bigger plant has been producing more than enough, and I have been putting it to good use so far this spring.
So far I’ve made a Rhubarb Upside Down Cake, rhubarb simple syrup and a (failed) rhubarb margarita, and next I plan to make these Rhubarb Pie Bars. But what I’ve been making most of all, is a simple Rhubarb Compote. All you need to do is toss a bunch of chopped rhubarb with some sugar, and cook it until it forms a sauce. I actually felt a little silly even writing up a recipe for it, but if that makes it even easier, so be it.
If you like rhubarb, this compote is pretty much good with everything. In lieu of jam on toast, mixed into your porridge, as a dessert topping to cake or ice cream, or in these Easy Rhubarb Parfaits (mine never look this pretty when I make them for myself FYI). But most often, you’ll find me standing over the kitchen counter, eating it straight out of the jar. It really is that good.
- 2 pounds trimmed rhubarb stalks (about 8-10 large stalks)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- Wash rhubarb and slice into 1/2 inch thick pieces. Toss rhubarb and sugar together in a large saucepan and allow to sit for 10 minutes. Stir.
- Heat rhubarb mixture over medium high heat, stirring often. When the mixture comes to a simmer, cover and reduce heat to medium-low. Continue to simmer until the rhubarb has broken down, about 10 minutes. Cool slightly, then transfer to a storage container and chill for at least 2 hours. Use in Easy Rhubarb Parfait, as a topping for ice cream or cake, mix into cocktails, or eat as it is.
Easy Rhubarb Parfait
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 2 cups rhubarb compote
- 2 cups plain or vanilla Greek yogurt
- If you want to make your parfait look beautiful, layer 2 tablespoons of rolled oats in the bottoms of 4 glasses or dessert dishes. Add 1/4 cup Greek yogurt, then 1/4 cup rhubarb compote. Repeat the layering with the remaining oats, yogurt, and compote. Top with an additional dollop of yogurt and a sprinkle of oats, or with fresh fruit as desired.
- If you don't need your parfaits to look beautiful, simply add 1/4 cup oats and 1/2 cup each Greek yogurt and rhubarb compote to 4 dishes. Mix and enjoy.
Rhubarb Compote & Easy Rhubarb Parfait Nutrition Notes:
The Nutrition Information for the Easy Rhubarb Parfait uses plain fat free Greek yogurt for it’s calculations. If you use a different yogurt, eg. a flavored one, or a brand that contains fat, it will affect the nutrition information for your parfait.