Give your Roasted Green Beans some flavor by adding some lemon, hazelnuts and goat cheese. It’s a flavorful side dish that your family will love!
Once in awhile I’ll come across a recipe that I love so much that I make it like, 3 or 4 times in a single week after I discover it. These Lemony Roasted Green Beans with Goat Cheese and Hazelnuts are one of those recipes.
The first time I made it, I knew I had a winner, but I needed to make a few tweaks to make it even better. The beans were a little overcooked, and there was far too much lemon. The second time, I had made the changes I thought I needed to make and the beans came out perfectly. Then I needed to make them again because they were just that good (and because my CSA gave me more beans).
I had never tried roasting green beans before this recipe. I had only ever stir-fried or sauteed them. However, now that I know how easy it is to get perfect results when roasting green beans, I don’t think I’ll ever go back. While I still love my Szechuan Green Beans, I may just try to modify the recipe to include roasting (yes, I know, it will be a far cry from the traditional method. Oh well.)
These beans are the perfect addition to a weeknight meal, and they’re great to make when local beans are in season (think late summer). However, they’re equally perfect in the winter during the holiday season. They make a fresh flavored and healthy alternative to the creamy green bean casseroles that often accompany holiday meals.
Want more delicious vegetable recipes?
Lemony Roasted Green Beans with Goat Cheese and Hazelnuts
- 1 pound green beans, trimmed
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- salt and pepper
- 1 clove garlic, minced or pressed
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 Tablespoon minced fresh chives
- 1 ounce goat cheese, crumbled
- 2 Tablespoons hazelnuts, toasted, skinned, and coarsely chopped
- Move oven rack to lowest position and heat oven to 450°F. Toss green beans with 1 Tablespoon of olive oil, the sugar, 1/2 teaspoon of salt and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper. Spread onto a rimmed baking sheet and cover tightly with aluminum foil. Cook for 10 minutes.
- Remove foil and continue to cook for 8 more minutes, stirring beans halfway through. Beans should be spotty brown when done.
- While beans are cooking, stir together garlic, lemon zest and remaining 2 Tablespoons of olive oil in a medium, heatproof bowl. Microwave on high for 1 minute until bubbling. Let sit for a minute, then whisk in the lemon juice, mustard, 1/8 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper.
- Add cooked beans and chives to the bowl with the dressing. Toss to coat. Divide beans evenly among 2-4 dishes, and top each with goat cheese and hazelnuts.
Lemony Roasted Green Beans Nutrition Notes:
This is a relatively healthy side dish. The portion can be doubled to make an entree. In that case, it could be served over greens as a salad, or with a starchy side like potatoes or fresh bread.