Give your Roasted Green Beans some flavor by adding some lemon, hazelnuts and goat cheese. It's a flavorful side dish that your family will love!
Once in awhile I'll come across a recipe that I love so much that I make it like, 3 or 4 times in a single week after I discover it. These Lemony Roasted Green Beans with Goat Cheese and Hazelnuts are one of those recipes.
The first time I made it, I knew I had a winner, but I needed to make a few tweaks to make it even better. The beans were a little overcooked, and there was far too much lemon. The second time, I had made the changes I thought I needed to make and the beans came out perfectly. Then I needed to make them again because they were just that good (and because my CSA gave me more beans).
I had never tried roasting green beans before this recipe. I had only ever stir-fried or sauteed them. However, now that I know how easy it is to get perfect results when roasting green beans, I don't think I'll ever go back. While I still love my Szechuan Green Beans, I may just try to modify the recipe to include roasting (yes, I know, it will be a far cry from the traditional method. Oh well.)
These beans are the perfect addition to a weeknight meal, and they're great to make when local beans are in season (think late summer). However, they're equally perfect in the winter during the holiday season. They make a fresh flavored and healthy alternative to the creamy green bean casseroles that often accompany holiday meals.
Want more delicious vegetable recipes?
Lemony Roasted Green Beans with Goat Cheese and Hazelnuts
- 1 pound green beans, trimmed
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- salt and pepper
- 1 clove garlic, minced or pressed
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 Tablespoon minced fresh chives
- 1 ounce goat cheese, crumbled
- 2 Tablespoons hazelnuts, toasted, skinned, and coarsely chopped
- Move oven rack to lowest position and heat oven to 450°F. Toss green beans with 1 Tablespoon of olive oil, the sugar, ½ teaspoon of salt and ¼ teaspoon of pepper. Spread onto a rimmed baking sheet and cover tightly with aluminum foil. Cook for 10 minutes.
- Remove foil and continue to cook for 8 more minutes, stirring beans halfway through. Beans should be spotty brown when done.
- While beans are cooking, stir together garlic, lemon zest and remaining 2 Tablespoons of olive oil in a medium, heatproof bowl. Microwave on high for 1 minute until bubbling. Let sit for a minute, then whisk in the lemon juice, mustard, ⅛ teaspoon salt and ⅛ teaspoon pepper.
- Add cooked beans and chives to the bowl with the dressing. Toss to coat. Divide beans evenly among 2-4 dishes, and top each with goat cheese and hazelnuts.
Nutrition Disclaimer: I try my best to make sure the nutrition information I provide is accurate to provide you with the best information possible. However, due to ingredient discrepancies and other factors, the above nutrition information should be considered an estimation only.
Lemony Roasted Green Beans Nutrition Notes:
This is a relatively healthy side dish. The portion can be doubled to make an entree. In that case, it could be served over greens as a salad, or with a starchy side like potatoes or fresh bread.