Who here loves breakfast for dinner? I sure do – I could eat breakfast food all day, any day. And what I like even more about breakfast for dinner is that it’s usually super easy! Hubby however, takes some convincing. He doesn’t do sweet breakfast food for dinner. So every once in awhile, I pull out the recipe for these Vietnamese Scrambled Eggs with Chinese Sausage – for breakfast, lunch or dinner! Seriously, I’m pretty sure I’ve eaten them for every meal of the day at one point or another. You could even get a little crazy and eat them for brunch or lupper!
What I especially love about this recipe is that it helps me clean out the produce drawer. And it’s a great way to use up those millions of tomatoes you have coming in from your garden every day. Throw in extra if you want! This recipe is also great, because many of the ingredients are ones you might often have on hand. If you’re not familiar with Chinese sausages, they’re quite a dry sausage with a unique sweet flavor with a hint of five spice powder. Find them in well stocked grocery stores or Asian markets. They may or may not be refrigerated, depending on how they’re packaged. They’ll last a long time in the fridge, but I usually just pop mine into the freezer after I open them because I use them so infrequently.
Once you start cooking this recipe, it goes really fast. So make sure you have ALL the prep work done before you even turn on the stove. Once everything is sliced, you will be eating delicious savory eggs in just minutes. Serve with a side salad and maybe rice or bread if it’s lunch or supper. Serve with toast and fruit if it’s breakfast. Or just eat them as is. These eggs are so flavorful that you won’t need any extra condiments on them once they’re done, so put that bottle of ketchup away and enjoy!
Vietnamese Scrambled Eggs with Chinese Sausage
- 3 slices Chinese sausages cut into 1/2"
- 8 large eggs
- 2 scallions thinly sliced
- 2 Tbsp fish sauce
- 1 shallot minced
- 4 cloves garlic minced or pressed
- 3 small tomatoes or a handful of cherry tomatoes diced
- 2 Tbsp chopped cilantro
- freshly ground black pepper
- Add sausages to a large non-stick skillet over medium high heat. Cook, stirring occasionally until fat begins to render and sausages are golden brown, about 3 minutes.
- While sausages are cooking, whisk eggs in a medium bowl with scallions and fish sauce. Set aside.
- Add shallot and garlic to sausages in the skillet. Cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add tomatoes and stir-fry until they soften, about minutes.
- Add egg mixture to the pan and reduce heat to low. Cook, stirring frequently until the eggs are set, but not dry. Add cilantro and mix. Top with pepper to taste.
Vietnamese Scrambled Eggs with Chinese Sausage Nutrition Notes:
Serve with toast or rice or a green salad to make a complete meal.