Warm Spinach Salad with Bacon, Eggs, and Mushrooms is a great salad to make for dinner. It is very quick and easy to make, and can be served as an appetizer or side, or as an entree.
Summer hasn't even started yet, and vegetable season is in full swing at my house. This is the first year we've gotten a Spring CSA delivery, and we're already on week 4 of the deliveries. I had always held off on the Spring deliveries in the past, because I was worried that there would be limited variety in the offerings. But, as it turns out my worries were for naught (as they so often are).
The first couple of weeks included some storage veggies from the fall, as well as some popcorn kernels (which were WAY better than the store bought stuff I usually use) and honey. There have been a lot of leafy greens, radishes, ramps and asparagus, which have been great. We've already worked our way through 2 large bags of spinach, with another one delivered today. Thank goodness for this Warm Spinach Salad with Bacon, Eggs, and Mushrooms to help me use up another bag.
To me, this salad is your typical restaurant spinach salad. I think that's because I used to eat a salad that was very similar to this in a restaurant that I visited often with my family and friends when I was a teen. I make this salad for my Hubby and I to split as an entree very often. This salad is perfect for weeknights, as making it goes very quickly, especially if I remember to crisp the bacon up ahead of time. Of course, then I have to make sure there's enough bacon left to put in the salad after snacking on it - perhaps next time I should cook up an extra slice.
Warm Spinach Salad with Bacon, Eggs, and Mushrooms
- 4 slices bacon, chopped
- 4 ounces baby spinach, washed and dried
- 2 Tablespoons red wine vinegar
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- pinch salt
- 1 medium shallot, minced
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- 2 hard boiled eggs, sliced
- 4 medium white or brown mushrooms, wiped clean and sliced
- 4 medium radishes, trimmed and sliced (optional)
- In a small bowl, stir together the vinegar, sugar, pepper and salt. Set aside. Place spinach in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Cook bacon in a skillet over medium heat until crisp. Remove bacon from skillet with a slotted spoon and place on a paper towel lined plate to drain. Pour bacon fat into a small heatproof bowl.
- Add 1 Tablespoon of the bacon fat back to the skillet (discard or save the rest of the bacon fat) and return heat to medium. Add the shallot and cook until softened, about 2-3 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Remove from heat and stir in vinegar mixture. Immediately pour over the spinach and toss to coat.
- Divide spinach between 2 large or 4 small bowls (this recipe serves 2 as an entree or 4 as a side or appetizer). Top with equal portions of the cooked bacon, hard boiled eggs, sliced mushrooms, and radishes (if using). Serve immediately.
Nutrition Disclaimer: I try my best to make sure the nutrition information I provide is accurate to provide you with the best information possible. However, due to ingredient discrepancies and other factors, the above nutrition information should be considered an estimation only.
Warm Spinach Salad with Bacon, Eggs, and Mushrooms Nutrition Notes:
The above nutrition information is for one side or appetizer sized portion of this spinach salad (the recipe will make 4 servings of this size). To calculate the nutrition info for an entree sized portion, simply double all of the nutrition facts (the recipe will serve 2 entree sized portions).
Leave a Reply