This Easy Cheddar Walnut Cheese ball is a great last-minute snack to make when you're expecting guests. It's quick and easy, and everyone will love it.
Ever since I remember, this Easy Cheddar Walnut Cheese Ball was a part of all my family gatherings. It was on my Grandma's regular recipe repertoire (say that 3 times fast!) and was always gobbled up at every party it was present at.
You don't see cheese balls around much anymore - they seem to be one of those things that you'd see in those retro cookbooks with ladies in aprons and big hair. I'd like to see them make a comeback, so hopefully you all make one after seeing how easy and delicious it is.
What is a cheese ball?
A cheese ball is exactly what it sounds like - shredded or chopped cheese mixed with soft cheese and other ingredients and flavorings and formed into a ball. Cheese balls are often coated in nuts and served with crackers or bread as a snack or appetizer.
How do you make a cheese ball?
Making a homemade cheese ball couldn't be easier. The prep work is minimal - simply shred the cheese, and stir the ingredients together. Form the mixture into a ball, and roll it in coarsely chopped walnuts.
Easy Cheddar Walnut Cheese Ball Ingredients:
- Shredded cheddar cheese: Whatever you have on hand, or your favorite. Go with sharp cheddar for more flavor.
- Cream cheese: Any type will do. Regular is fine, but light cream cheese or neufchatel works if you're trying to cut down on fat.
- Lemon juice
- Worcestershire sauce
- Chopped walnuts: If you don't like walnuts, simply replace them with chopped pecans or hazelnuts, or sliced almonds.
Cheese Ball Variations:
The great thing about cheese balls is that you can change up the ingredients slightly to suit your taste. Here are some ideas to get you started:
- Instead of cheddar, try smoked cheese (cheddar or gouda). Add chopped bacon to the cheese mixture, and/or rolled in chopped smoked almonds.
- If you like a little spice, try using a spicy cheese like pepper-jack or habanero Havarti instead of cheddar.
- Try a Mediterranean version - Feta instead of cheddar with chopped olives and lemon zest mixed in. Serve it with pita bread or pita chips.
Serve the cheese ball with your favorite crackers. You can serve it as soon as you're done shaping it, otherwise wrap it tightly in plastic and store it in the fridge until you're ready to serve it. It's best served at room temperature.
Want more party snack recipes?
Easy Cheddar Walnut Cheese Ball Nutrition Notes:
To reduce total and saturated fat in this cheese ball, use light cream cheese or neufchatel.
If you are allergic to walnuts, you could substitute them for a different kind of nut or seeds (pumpkin seeds or sunflower seeds would work well).
Easy Cheddar Walnut Cheese Ball
- 8 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
- 8 ounces cream cheese (regular or light/neufchatel)
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- ½ cup walnut halves or pieces, chopped
- Add all ingredients to a large bowl. Mix until uniform. Form into one large, or two smaller balls and roll in chopped walnuts. Serve immediately or wrap in plastic and refrigerate until ready to use. Best if served at room temperature. Serve with crackers and/or bread.
Nutrition Disclaimer: I try my best to make sure the nutrition information I provide is accurate to provide you with the best information possible. However, due to ingredient discrepancies and other factors, the above nutrition information should be considered an estimation only.