Oven Roasted Chicken Shawarma is loaded with flavor, as well as being tender and juicy. Plus, it’s easy to make at home with no special equipment!
When I lived in Edmonton, chicken shawarma was one of the foods that I would often order from restaraunts. There were many options for mouthwatering shawarma near where I lived. All of them were fast, affordable, and delicious. Shawarma isn’t as common where I live now, so options are limited. But luckily for me, a little internet research taught me that I can easily make it at home.
Shawarma is traditionally prepared by layering thinly sliced, seasoned meat on a vertical rotisserie and shaving off thin slices as it roasts. However, that method is not practical in many homes. Instead, we turn to the oven to replicate the slow roasted flavor in Oven Roasted Chicken Shawarma.
This chicken is very flavorful thanks to lemon juice, garlic and loads of spices like cumin, paprika, turmeric, and cinnamon. It definitely doesn’t need any additional seasoning when you serve it, but a little bit of tzatziki sauce or Lebanese garlic sauce makes it even more mouthwatering.
Your finished shawarma is ready to serve straight from the oven. To give it even more “fresh off the rotisserie” flavor, you can slice it up, then sauté it in a non-stick pan with a little bit of olive oil. You can then serve it in a pita wrap, with rice or other grain, or on top of salad.
Oven Roasted Chicken Shawarma
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika (see note)
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika (see note)
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- Whisk together 1/4 cup olive oil, the lemon juice, garlic, cumin, salt, pepper, paprika, turmeric, cinnamon, and cayenne pepper in a medium bowl. Add the chicken thighs and coat well. Place the bowl in the fridge and marinate at least 1 hour or up to 12 hours.
- Heat oven to 425°F and move oven rack to middle position. Line a baking sheet with foil and place a cooling rack in the sheet. Remove chicken from marinade and shake off any excess. Place the chicken on the cooling rack.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes, until chicken is cooked through (an instant read thermometer should read 165°F when inserted into the thickest part of the chicken) and browned at the edges. Allow to rest for 5 minutes.
Oven Roasted Chicken Shawarma Nutrition Notes:
The above nutrition info assumes that 3/4 of the marinate is absorbed, or left coating the chicken after marinating as there will be a small amount of marinade discarded. The nutrition information includes only the cooked chicken and does not include any additional sauces or meal components (eg. pita bread or rice) that you might include with the chicken.