There is no meal I hate eating at a restaurant more than brunch. I just don’t understand the desire to wait in line for hours to eat overpriced food that can just as easily (and for a fraction of the price) be prepared at home. And for Mothers Day, the busiest restaurant day of the year? No way! Although my mom is actually going to be here for Mothers day this year, I probably won’t make her this delicious Cherry Cheesecake Stuffed French Toast, because she is not a breakfast eater. Oh well, her loss. Supper instead. However, your mom (or you) can enjoy it. And no judging if you make it a breakfast for supper meal. I’ve certainly been there.
Like my Almost Instant Cherry Cheesecake Bites, this idea came to me when I was trying to figure out tasty ways to use up my huge Costco jar of cherry preserves (that did not include just eating it straight from the jar with a spoon). This is not the first time I’ve made a version of stuffed French toast. I’ve also made a peanut butter and banana version that is also delicious. And I have visions of of something involving Nutella. I can only do so much decadent breakfast food at once though…
If you’ve never made stuffed French toast, it’s easier than it sounds. I does not involve any actual “stuffing” it just involves making a sandwich, then dipping the whole thing in French toast batter (eggs, milk and some flavorings) and frying it up.
In this case we’re spreading two slices of bread with a light cream cheese and Greek yogurt mixture, then topping one slice with my beloved cherry preserves (available in the jam aisle). As far as the bread goes, you can use whatever you like – I always have whole wheat in my house, but you could do homemade or thick white bread too. Then dunk each side of the sandwich in the egg mixture until it gets pretty soggy (it’ll only take a few seconds) then fry it up in a little butter until golden on both sides.
I’m pretty sure there’s not a mom around that’s not going to like that for brunch – maybe not even my breakfast hating mom.
Cherry Cheesecake Stuffed French Toast
- 1/2 cup light cream cheese or Neufchatel, softened
- 1/4 cup vanilla or honey flavored Greek yogurt
- 2 large eggs
- 2 Tablespoons milk
- 2 Tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1-2 Tablespoons butter
- 8 slices bread (use Gluten Free bread to make this recipe Gluten Free)
- 1/4 cup cherry preserves
- powdered sugar optional
- Stir cream cheese and yogurt together with a silicone spatula in a medium bowl until smooth. Set aside.
- In a separate medium bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, maple syrup, vanilla and cinnamon until mixed. Pour into a pie plate or other shallow dish.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Melt 1 Tbsp butter in the skillet.
- Spread about 1 Tbsp cream cheese mixture onto each slice of bread. Spread 1 Tbsp of the cherry preserves on 4 of the slices. Close each of the slices with the cherry preserves with a slice of bread without cherries together to form a sandwich.
- Dip each sandwich in the egg mixture. Immediately place in the skillet. Repeat with remaining sandwiches. Cook until golden brown on both sides, about 5 minutes per side.
- Serve immediately, with powdered sugar if desired.
Cherry Cheesecake Stuffed French Toast Nutrition Notes:
Healthy breakfast this is NOT. Eat in moderation.