Mulligatawny is a hearty curry flavored soup that's filled with tender chicken, apples, and rice. It's a healthy and delicious meal for any day of the week.
Do you make a lot of soups? I remember a former coworker once told me that she had never made homemade soup (despite cooking a lot of other foods from scratch), and I was shocked. I make soup ALL. THE. TIME!
I think some people shy away from homemade soup because they think it's the kind of food that takes hours and lots of work to cook. While that definitely can be the case sometimes, it's just not true for all soups.
Many can be prepared in well under an hour, with minimal hands on time. Like this Mulligatawny. (Side Note - anyone else think of Seinfeld's "Soup Nazi" when they hear the word "Mulligatawny"?)
How do you make Mulligatawny?
Mulligatawny is a curried soup filled with lots of veggies, chicken, apples, and rice.
The soup isn't sweet, despite the use of apples. It's best to use a more tart apple like Granny Smith, which will also hold it's shape better in the soup. The apples lose their tart apple flavor once cooked and the flavor melds perfectly with the rest of the spices.
The soup can be on your table is just under an hour, and much quicker if you make use of packaged, pre-prepped veggies and/or chicken, or pre-prep the ingredients ahead of time.
Like many soups, you will have to do some veggie chopping, so make sure you have a good knife to make it go faster.
- Canola oil
- Chicken thighs
- Curry powder
- Chili powder
- Black pepper
- Reduced sodium chicken broth
- Long grain white rice
- Canned diced tomatoes
- Granny Smith apples
- Plain Greek yogurt
- Lemon juice (It's fine to use bottled lemon juice here)
Want more soup recipes?
Mulligatawny Nutrition Notes:
The nutrition information in the recipe uses reduced sodium chicken broth for the calculations. If you use regular chicken broth, your mulligatawny will have more sodium. Cut back on the added salt if needed.
Serve with a green salad to make a complete meal.
Mulligatawny - Curried Chicken and Apple Soup
- 1 Tablespoon canola oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound chicken thighs, trimmed and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 Tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
- ½ cup long grain white rice
- 14 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 2 Granny Smith apples, peeled and cut into ½ inch pieces
- ½ cup plain Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup minced cilantro
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- Heat the canola oil in a dutch oven over medium high heat. Add onion, carrots, celery, and salt and cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the chicken, and cook until no longer pink, 3-5 minutes. Stir in the garlic, curry powder, chili powder, cumin, and pepper and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add the chicken broth, tomatoes and rice, and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover and cook for 10 minutes. Add the apples and continue to cook for 15 more minutes. Remove soup from heat and stir in the yogurt, cilantro, and lemon juice.
Nutrition Disclaimer: I try my best to make sure the nutrition information I provide is accurate to provide you with the best information possible. However, due to ingredient discrepancies and other factors, the above nutrition information should be considered an estimation only.